Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fans Of Film Open Communication With Filmmakers

Hey Sean
Thanks for signing up for our newsletter.
Glad to have you on board as we move toward a new way of distributing content to the world.
I think we've both seen more filmmakers turning to the web for distribution, and more sites capitalizing on that.
Our goal is to empower filmmakers with DIY ability's, putting filmmakers first in business for themselves, further facilitating the transition of the indi film movement by providing tools, services, consulting for the DIYers, at the same time providing locations like Fans Of Film to showcase and promote their films

I'm currently working with The Filmmakers Channel to promote indie distribution and filmmakers
using a paypal video player from Movenetwork a streaming video provider.

I'm also in the progress of launching and building a new up to date trendy site for Fans Of Film that will support more video platforms, with better profiling, more functions for both filmmakers and fans, community integration and a store for filmmakers to sell posters and DVD

Michael, Glad to meet you too!

It's good to hear other filmmakers are moving towards the Internet as a distribution model. There's a lot of things happening with TIVO and Amazon and other online distributors like Jamon that are going to make it easier to create and distribute media. I can't wait to see what you are putting together.

I live near Chicago and I've decided to try to make that one of my goals and help others make that push towards the Internet. I'm worried people up here think youtube is what is meant by the Internet and they don't take it that seriously. Not to mention it's not a silver screen. For me I'm at the point where I don't care what size screen people watch my work on, just as long as they watch and hopefully like. I truly see this as the future for filmmakers and really a lot of content creators.

I'm all for developing tools that enables small and independent filmmakers to have paths to get their movies in front of as many eyeballs as they can.

I had picked up an issue of "Indie Slate" a few weeks ago and was surprised how many stories there were of people who have their film made and was trying to get it on the festival circuit and trying to get theatrical distribution. Some of these films had sat there for 2 or 3 years... All I could think about was what a waste. You've spent all this time to make something and you could have had this on the Internet, found fans, figured out a way to make money and helped get interest in yourself and your cast not to mention your next project. (this is going to be a subject of a blog post in the future)

Here are some groups I've started up that I hope will build and help help promote this idea. I'm looking for filmmakers to see if they were interested in blogging about their projects plus I think it would help them get into this new web 2.0 era. It's all got to start somewhere. I've just launched them so they are just getting started.

This one you've already seen.
http://united-pixels.com/
This is the social site to try to bring local artists together.
http://unitedpixels.ning.com/

I'm starting up this podcast to promote media being created in the Midwest and how to take advantage of the new tools out there. We are interested in talking to all content creators but want to focus on creators in the Midwest or at least areas that are not traditionally thought of where this media is coming from.

http://midwestmedianow.com/.

Didn't mean to overwhelm you with all kinds of links and ideas. Just really excited to hear what you're putting together. Thanks again for following me on twitter and I look forward to following your progress.

Good luck with everything. I'll keep in touch.

SEAN

Thanks Sean for your great feed back,
we think alike, sounds like your on the right track keep up the good work.
Look forward to making this journey with you and all the other filmmakers that will take control of their futures,
and move to web distribution. Fill free to drop me a line anytime.
Make sure you put up your profile on filmmakershelp.com with a link to your site
I have some great people their with over a 100 members and I just started the forum 2 mouths ago.
I half to delete spammers everyday lot of work no pay but I believe in what I'm doing
Thanks again Michael
PS if it's ok I may post your letter on one of my blogs


michael@filmmakershelp.com
phone 505-934-7592
filmmakershelp.com

Feel free to use the letter however you want. If you need and extra blog here and there let me know.

You know I really started digging deep into this about 2 years ago. For some reason I thought I missed the boat but the more I find out the more I realize everyone is still trying to figure this out. Hopefully the smaller groups will be quicker at making changes and moving with the flow.

talk to you soon,
SEAN

Good morning Sean
Its been a year for me, but things are moving faster.
I spoke on the topic of web distribution about a year ago to a local nonprofit film group here in Albuquerque, the response at that time was less than enthusiastic. I spoke to that same group 2 mouths ago, and it was like night and day. were in for a great future, but it's still going to be a slow process given the powers that Have worked very hard to keep us in the dark ages, and we mustn't forget those that came before us like Dave Stewart from Eurythmics. He tried this back in 1995 with a site called the slyfi channel, he had some great artist believing they could have their own TV shows on the web. To say the least the world wasn't ready.
sincerely Michael
PS signed up to your forum see you there and around web, where the world gets smaller and the net gets bigger

michael@filmmakershelp.com
phone 505-934-7592
filmmakershelp.com

Michael Palombo's Facebook profile

Social Bookmarking

No comments: